*Note: This post was originally written on Jul 8, 2011 on my old blog (loveformakeup.com). I am transferring the content here.
Woohoo, I finally got around to making a makeup brush holder! For the longest time I was keeping my makeup brushes in ugly cylindrical pencil holders or in makeup bags.
I’m sure most of you have seen the way Sephora & other beauty stores display their brushes: stuck in a vase-like glass container filled with tiny, round, crystal beads. You can buy those crystal beads online or in craft stores. Popularly used beads are called “colorfill vase filler”. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the vase-filler at the craft stores around me, and I didn’t want to order online since shipping was pricey.
Materials I used:
- Square glass vases ($2.49 each @ IKEA)
- Satin ribbon ($1.97 for 12 ft @ Walmart)
- Sewing needle & thread
- Krazy Glue
- Create the bow (I made 2 simple bows, overlapped them, sewed them together)
- Use a long strip of ribbon to wrap around the vase Optional: - Fold ribbon in half (I personally think a thinner ribbon looks better) - Iron the folded ribbon for a crisp edge
- Super glue the bows on top of the ribbon that is wrapped around the vase
- Pour in rice (or vase filler)
Purple Satin Ribbon I used (width: 1 1/2”):
Made 2 of these simple bows and sewed over one another: